At the heart of our beautiful campus is an historic house which was built in the 19th century by John R. Pettit, a descendent of one of Sussex County's founding families. Judges, stone masons, educators, tavern keepers ... the Pettits were a versatile group. During the Revolution several were loyal to the Crown while others supported the American cause. In 1815, Amos Pettit, who established Newton's first brickyard and ice house, purchased property on what is now known as College Hill. Years later, his son moved across the road and built his fine home, no doubt using bricks from the Pettit brickyard.
Today the house serves as the Senator Robert E. Littell Family Literacy Center at Project Self-Sufficiency. Here students gather to work towards their GED, receive help with literacy skills and train for the college placement exam.
The house offers private study areas, a children's library for use by participants' families, counseling rooms and a large, computer-equipped classroom.
For information about obtaining a GED, or receiving assistance with any other literacy skills, call Project Self-Sufficiency at 973-940-3500 or 844-807-3500.