Free mammograms and pap tests are available through the New Jersey Cancer Education and Early Detection (NJCEED) program administered by the Sussex County Health Department. Follow-up diagnostics, including additional mammography views, breast ultrasounds, and biopsies are also available. Interested participants are encouraged to call 973-579-0750, ext. 1246. In addition, Newton Medical Center will provide a free mammogram for women who qualify through the Newton Medical Center Foundation's "Mammograms Save Lives" program. Those without health insurance are encouraged to contact Newton Medical Center's Education/Outreach office at 973-579-8340 for more information.
Since 1997, Project Self-Sufficiency has proudly partnered with the Susan G. Komen for the Cure® North Jersey Affiliate to increase awareness of the importance of early detection in the prevention and treatment of breast cancer. Project Self-Sufficiency's Breast Health Awareness Program consists of:
- Referral for free mammograms for uninsured and underinsured Women over the age of 40;
- Breast Cancer Awareness Presentations;
- Annual Tie-a-Ribbon Campaign;
- Participation in the Annual Race for the Cure;
- Mammograms Save Lives Public Relations Effort
- Annual Family Health Fair
The Project Self-Sufficiency Breast Health Awareness Program has reached more than 70,000 girls and women.